EOS works to encourage the exchange of information pertinent to the promotion of employment, education, scholarships, participation, professionalism, and recruitment for all individuals in the fisheries profession. The Section administers the J. Frances Allen Scholarship program, fosters mentoring of under-represented groups via an annual mentoring award and luncheon.
- Increase professional interaction between research institutions and minority colleges.
- Increased attendance of minority and female professionals and students at annual meetings.
- Encourage and support the development of fishery research and instructional programs, particularly at predominantly minority (including female) institutions.
- Encourage the hiring of more minority and female fisheries professionals nationwide.
- Provide students looking for employment with information about summer jobs in fisheries or aquatic science fields.