From the DI Day breakout sessions and inclusivity survey, we have created a list of action items that can be taken by individuals within AFS.
Be a Model
- Share your pronouns so others feel safe to share theirs.
- Model behavior that we want to see/be. Example – during networking events, break out of your clique and meet new people.
- Wear stickers to identify mentors, safe place/people to talk to.
- Acknowledge we all are responsible for educating ourselves and making our society more diverse, equitable, and inclusive.
- Attend trainings and commit to self-education to be an ally for marginalized identities.
Be an Active Member and Ally
- If you are an educator, adapt inclusive teaching practices.
- Mentor BIPOC and other marginalized students/early career professionals.
- Cite, amplify, and work with colleagues from underrepresented backgrounds.
- Become more involved in AFS through workshops, reading Fisheries, presenting your work, as well as participating in various sections and chapters. Join the Equal Opportunities Section.